Saturday, May 1, 2010

16 Mile Clarance Demar Workout

I have been wanting to do this workout for awhile now. I just couldn't get it together health wise. Today was different. For some reason I was motivated and felt strong (raisin bagel?). My Dad helped me out and crewed my effort. It was extremely helpful to have him out there giving me encouragement. He gave me splits every 1/4 mile. I couldn't have done the effort without him. Here is some of the data:

4:53 / 5:18 / 5:01 / 5:16 / 5:10 / 5:08 / 5:07 / 5:08 / 5:09 / 5:05 / 5:09 / 5:11 / 5:07 / 4:56 / 5:05 / 4:58

Total Time : 1:21:49

I wanted to try to do the workout Ben Nephew mentioned, but basically threw that out after my first mile. I was way too excited and could not restrain myself from hovering around 5:10 pace. I was going to try and pick it up after 16 and really hammer 4 more miles but I didn't really have any steam left when I got there. I am still very happy about this run. I am pleased that I could muster this amount of energy after my highest volume week ever. I think I am going to give it one last push this week (chase miles) and then relax, come up with a game plan and try not to kill anybody while I taper. Jess, in advance, "Sorry". Well, back to the mileage hunt.

7 comments:

  1. Damn. That is flying. Well done, and a good indicator of things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some nasty splits. I couldn't hit even one of them when I RACED DeMar last September. That's an awesome course. Great run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pace is faster than my 10k PR. You are ready to rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great workout, Justin. Must of been awesome to have your dad there to give you splits. Reminds me of John Treacy (Providence College) and the silver medalist in the '84 Olympics. He broke the marathon down to quarter mile splits.

    ReplyDelete