Monday, June 15, 2009

USATF NE Trail Championships


Saturday, June 13th marked the New England Trail Championships. I got to the race the customary 1 hour prior to settle in and get a comfortable warm up. I was greeted by CMS teammate Greg Hammett and Josh Ferenc (Inov-8). We headed out and jogged the first couple of miles of the course. I knew the course pretty well as this was my third year in a row toeing the line. After Dave Dunham (RD) gave us some last minute instructions we were off. I found myself battling Eric Morse the first few miles until we started to climb and I gapped him. I felt very strong for the first time in awhile until the final push to the half way point and water stop. Josh (former USA Mt Team member)caught up to me and passed me. I had absoutely no answer for it and had to let him go. The next half of the race is basically a free fall and completely blew up my quads. I held off Andy Mcarron (CMS) who was gaining on me on the descent and Eric Morse for a 2nd place finish in a time of 37:03. This was 13 seconds slower than last year (still working things out). I am optomistic my recovery is coming along although it is much slower than I want and look forward to Mount Washington next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment