Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Bay State Marathon

Well, needless to say the race didn't go the way I had planned. I knew it wasn't going to be the day to run a good time with the conditions being what they were. It was a fun day though I really wanted to stay with Joseph Koech and see how long I could hang I was surprised and worried that I seemed to be in control of the tempo very early on. Joseph and I were hovering around 5:35 pace for most of 16 miles (behind schedule). It was at the 16 mile split 5:38 that I realized he didn't want anything to do with a faster pace. Mile 17 was 5:40. My confidence grew. The 18 mile mark is what did it for me (5:41). I knew I was going to have to run my own race and I decided to go back under 5:30 pace. I quickly gapped the field and felt relatively comfortable through mile 24. I thought I had 2 minutes on second place and keyed it down to just bring it in. To my surprise Brandon Newbould flew by me like I was a back of the pack half marathoner at not the 25 mile mark, but the 1 mile to go mark. It took me a bit to realize what just happened and I quickly tried to catch up. My legs had a different plan. They had graciously adapted to the 6:10 pace I had ordered and weren't going to give me anything back. Kudos to Brandon for running a much more consist and race and finishing so well. I actually think the highlight of my day was being able to watch my friend and training partner, Andy McCarron finish in 2:29. He has been stuck at 2:30 for the last few attempts and really wanted this one. The look on his face said it all. I am also very excited to have been a part of the CMS championship marathon squad. I knew we could do it and it feels good. One more big race (50K Worlds)for me and I am going to take a few weeks off, reevaluate my goals for the upcoming year, and get ready for indoor and snowshoe season. Great job to all the finishers on a hard day! Here is an article on the race:
http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_13593264

5 comments:

  1. Justin - great effort under what appeared (via football game highlights) to be tough conditions. Good work and looking forward to your 50k report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, I'm psyched for you in the overall GP...you earned it man...you've had an incredible year... you've put up huge PRs and mixed it up with the best of them. Very proud to be next to you on the line and during the first few seconds of the races :). Best of luck in the 50K!!!! Big things from you this indoor/snowshoe season. I'd love to see what you can do in 3k/5k now that you are officially an animal!.... Can't wait to see you're 2010 plans!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, take it easy leading up to the 50k!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've put up huge times this year in all different distances. Congrats. I'm eager to read about your upcoming 50k and upcoming 2010 goals. You've inspired me to join CMS. I mailed in my paperwork Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have you aboard! It's going to be a great ride. Hope to see you at indoor and some snowshoe races.

    ReplyDelete